How long does it take to buy a house?
The average time to purchase a property in England, Wales and Northern Ireland is between 6 weeks and 8 months.
1) Find a property: Research the area, scour estate agents and search websites such as Rightmove, Zoopla and OnTheMarket.
2) Put in an offer: Tell the seller what you are prepared to pay including any conditions, furniture you would like to stay etc.
3) Offer accepted: Arrange for a survey to check the property's condition such as structural problems like unstable walls or subsidence. The surveyor will highlight any major repairs or alterations needed, such as fixing the roof or chimney chute. It is down to your solicitor to check any legal issues.
4) Exchange: You pay your deposit to your solicitor and you can't back out without a major cost to you.
5) Completion: Once the solicitor receives the rest of the cash on exchange, they will contact your estate agent who will release the keys and deeds. The property's now legally yours.
Important: Nobody is legally bound to complete the deal until exchange of contracts.